Information(Objekt ID 33210)
|Established||1952 (closed 1959)|
In 1929 the architects Christian Morgenstierne and Arne Eide were hired to design a theatre building for Folketeatret, which was at the time a recently established theatre association. The building was finished in 1935, located by the central square Youngstorget in Oslo.
The auditorium had 1200 seats, but for a long time it was used as a cinema (screening films, not showing live theatre) because of economic difficulties. The actual theatre activity did not start until 1952, with Aunt Ulrikke as the opening performance, while Dukketeatret (literally: The Puppetry), a sub-department of Folketeatret, had its first premiere with Gjete kongens harer* (Shepherding the hares of the King) January 17 1953.
In 1959 Folketeatret merged with Det Nye Teater. At the same time the then newly established opera, The Norwegian Opera, took over the responsibility for the venue by Youngstorget.
Oslo Nye Teater (Oslo New Theatre), http://www.oslonye.no/om_teatret/historikk/