Here in Sceneweb, you may search several ways: Using the search field, which is a text field; using the categories and tags in the menu to the left; or a combination of both.
To get to the search page, you click on the search symbol. You will find this at the top of the page, to the left, next to the Sceneweb logo.
The database is divided into eight main categories. These are listed at the top of the menu to the left: Person, Production, Artwork, Organisation, Venue, Puppet, Award and Multimedia. The multimedia objects are the digitised files stored in the archive. These are photos, posters, playbills, festival programs, season programs, videos, reviews, articles and similar.
If you know that you are searching for a person, for instance, you may choose person in the left menu. Then, only persons will come up. There are approximately 40 000 persons registered in the archive.
If you know this person is a woman, you may choose Female in the left menu. In this case, you have limited your search to women. There are approximately 13 000 women registered in the archive.
This can be combined with using the text field. If you know the persons first name, you may enter this. Let us say her name is Solveig. In this case, approximately 76 entries will show.
As for reviews, there are some in the archive, but this is only the beginning. You may search for reviews in the database here.
For reviews from Norwegian newspapers, we recommend using the newspaper archive at The National Library of Norway.
SEARCH FOR A PERIOD OF TIME OR A SPECIFIC DATE
You may write the following in the search field:
- Jon Fosse 2010-2012 and production in the left menue (to search for productions Jon Fosse was credited for, within a specific period of time).
- December 5 1978 (to search for a specific date)
- December 5 (to search for a date without a year)
- 1970-1980 or 1 December 2019-15 January 2020 (to search for a period of time). Can be used in combination with the left menue.
SEARCH FOR A PERSON
- You can easily search for a person by writing the name in the search field.
- If you wish to search for a list of actors, for instance, you may use the options in the menu to the left:
- Choose object type Person
- Choose tag Actor
- If you only wish to see Norwegian actors, for instance, you may also choose country Norway
SEARCH FOR A PLAY'S PRODUCTION HISTORY
- You may search for a play and get a list of its Norwegian production history.
- You can do this by writing the title of the play in the text field. Let us use Peer Gynt as an example. This will give you near 2000 results. At the top, you will find the artwork Peer Gynt, the entry for the text of the play.
- If you click this link, you get to the entry for the text of the play in the Sceneweb archive. Under the listed productions you will see the play's production history.
SEARCH FOR A PLAY'S PRODUCTION HISTORY AT A SPECIFIC THEATRE OR COMPANY
- You may search for a play and a theatre/company, to see a list of the production history of the play at this specific theatre.
- You can do this by writing the title of the play and the name of the theatre in the search field, for instance Peer Gynt The National Theatre.
- The result will also show playbills, season programs, festival programs, posters, and similar connected to the search. If you only wish to see productions, you can choose production in the menu to the left.