|Premiére date||11 May. 2019|
|Produced by||The Norwegian Theatre|
|Based on||Lazarus by Enda Walsh, David Bowie, David Bowie|
|Expressions||Theatre, Science fiction|
|Running period||11 May. 2019|
|Duration||Approximately two hours|
|Website||Det Norske Teatret|
Lazarus (2019) was a musical theatre production by The Norwegian Theatre, based on the musical by David Bowie (music and lyrics) and Enda Walsh (book). The production was performed at the theatre's main stage.
Anders T. Andersen directed it.
Joachim Rafaelsen played the role of Thomas Newton.
Mimmi Tamba played the role of Girl. She was nominated for The Hedda Award 2019 in the best supporting actress category for the role.
The plot of Lazarus is based on the movie The Man Who Fell to Earth (1976). Bowie played the leading character, Thomas Newton, in the movie.
Boya Bøckman won The Hedda Award 2019 in the best audiovisual design category for Lazarus and The Ship Vol 5.
Lazarus was also nominated for The Hedda Award 2019 in the production of the year category.Read more
- Enda Walsh - Playwright
- David Bowie - Songlyrics
- Frode Grytten - Translation
- Anders T. Andersen - Direction
- Belinda Braza - Choreography
- David Bowie - Composer
- Adrien Munden - Musical Management
- Svenn Erik Kristoffersen - Musical Management (Kapellmeister og tagentar)
- Matilde Holdhus - Dramaturge
- Boya Bøckman - Visual design
- Dagny Drage Kleiva - Stage design
- Olav Ryland Myrtvedt - Stage design
- Dagny Drage Kleiva - Costume design
- Olav Ryland Myrtvedt - Costume design
- Line Jeanette Antonsen - Costume (Kostymekoordinator)
- Henry Hey - Musical arrangement (Originale orkesteringer )
- Vibeke Blydt-Hansen - Sound design
- Torkel Skjærven - Lighting design
- Amanda Kamara - Actor (Teenage girl)
- Catharina Vu - Actor (Mæmi)
- Hans Magnus Hildershavn Rye - Actor (Zach)
- Hans Rønningen - Actor (Michael)
- Heidi Gjermundsen Broch - Actor (Elly)
- Joachim Rafaelsen - Actor (Newton)
- Joakim H. Ousdal - Actor (Teenage girl)
- Jonas Fuglevik Urstad - Actor (Ben)
- Julie Moe Sandø - Actor (Girl)
- Kristoffer Olsen - Actor (Ben)
- Lasse Kolsrud - Actor (Michael)
- Mimmi Tamba - Actor (Girl)
- Petter Vermeli - Actor (Valentin)
- Pål Christian Eggen - Actor (Valentin)
- Børge Are Halvorsen - Musician (Saxofonar)
- Christian Svensson - Musician (Trommer)
- Kristoffer Kompen - Musician (Trombone)
- Marius Reksjø - Musician (Bass)
- Mats Grønner - Musician (Gitarer)
- Terje Hartviksen - Musician (Gitar)
- Embla Høyland Skognes - Mask design
- Finn Kirkeby - Props
- Hedda Haaland - Stage manager
- Rune Aspeggen - Lighting supervisor
- Ingrid Jørgensen Dragland - Main producer (Teenage girl)
- Siri Hundvin - Coordinator (Koordinator snekkerverksted)
More about Lazarus
"Thomas Newton, an otherworldly character, has been sent to Earth to search for water for the dried-out planet he stems from. In meeting the inhumanities of the earthly, he breaks down. 40 years later, he is still on Earth, condemned to eternal life, and trying to drown the ghosts from his past in gin. He fails in this, and while longing for release, he switches between reality and delusion. It is about love and loss of love, about loneliness and feeling alienated. He meets young girls, longing women and sly men, but the whole thing only takes part in his own mind. Lazarus is a poetic longing for death - accompanied by 18 strong songs from Bowie's strong catalogue.
Bowie was a master of transformation, in renewal and in creating characters forming the musical world from the 1960es until his very last music video. Look up here, I’m in heaven, he sang prophetically from his sick bed, three days before he went out of time. He, who conveyed his art through different characters such as Ziggy Stardust, Major Tom, Aladdin Sane and Thin White Duke, made sure that the theatre could take part in his heritage through the musical Lazarus."
The Norwegian Theatre, 04.12.2018, detnorsketeatret.no, https://www.detnorsketeatret.no/framsyningar/lazarus/
The Hedda Award, www.heddaprisen.no, 16.10.19, https://www.heddaprisen.no/vinnere/2019
Sceneweb on The Hedda Award, www.sceneweb.no, 16.10.19, https://sceneweb.no/en/awarding/93019/The_Hedda_Award_2019-2019
The Hedda Award, www.heddaprisen.no, 16.10.19, https://www.heddaprisen.no/nominerte/2019