Guys and Dolls
|Premiére date||31 Jan. 2014|
|Produced by||Oslo Nye Teater (Oslo New Theatre)|
|Based on||Guys and Dolls by Jo Swerling, Abe Burrows, Frank Loesser, Frank Loesser|
|Running period||31 Jan. 2014|
|Website||Oslo Nye Teater|
About Guys and Dolls
Guys and Dolls (2014) was a musical theatre production by Oslo Nye Teater (Oslo New Theatre). It was based on the musical by Frank Loesser (music and lyrics) and Abe Burrows and Jo Swerling (who collaborated in writing the book), in turn based on a story by Damon Runyon. The production was performed at the theatre's main stage.
Svein Sturla Hungnes directed it.
Marianne Skovli Aamodt choreographed it.
Andrea Brein Hovig played the role of Sarah Brown.
Kåre Conradi played the role of Sky Masterson.
Hans Marius Hoff Mittet played the role of Nathan Detroit.
Hilde Louise Asbjørnsen played the role of Miss Adelaide.
Eli Anne Linnestad played the role of General Mathilda B. Cartwright. This was her last role as steadily employed at the theatre, where she had been working from 1967.Read more
- Frank Loesser - Text (Sangtekster)
- Abe Burrows - Script
- Jo Swerling - Script
- Svein Sturla Hungnes - Direction
- Marianne Skovli Aamodt - Choreography
- Frank Loesser - Music
- Petter Sørlie Kragstad - Musical Management
- Ola Bråten - Stage design
- Trude Bergh - Costume design
- Bjørn Ottar Undset - Sound design
- Anders Busch - Lighting design
- Andrea Bræin Hovig - Actor (Sarah Brown)
- Bentine Holm - Actor (Agatha / General Mathilda B. Cartwright (f.o.m. 28.02.2014))
- Eli Anne Linnestad - Actor (General Mathilda B. Cartwright)( to 27 Feb. 2014)
- Hans Marius Hoff Mittet - Actor (Nathan Detroit)
- Henriette Faye-Schjøll - Actor (Mimi / Dolores del Cabeza)
- Hilde Louise Asbjørnsen - Actor (Miss Adelaide)
- Johannes Joner - Actor (Nicky)
- Kari-Ann Grønsund - Actor (Martha)
- Kåre Conradi - Actor (Sky Masterson)
- Lars Jacob Holm - Actor (Harry)
- Morten Røhrt - Actor (Arvid Abernathy / Joey)
- Sindre Postholm - Actor (Benny)
- Trond Teigen - Actor (Max / Politibetjent Brannigan)
- Andrè Danielsen - Dancer
- Anette Ryssmo Boge - Dancer
- Charlotte Øverland Våset - Dancer
- Gard Hjertaas Bjørnson - Dancer
- Gustav Andreas Kvale - Dancer
- Jan Nicolai Wesnes - Dancer (Al + Danser)
- Julia Seim Grønningsæter - Dancer
- Lisbeth Sandnes Espeland - Dancer (dansekaptein)
- Vilde Viktoria Madsen - Dancer
- Ellen Brekken - Musician (Bass og tuba)
- Arild Hillestad - Musician (Trombone)
- Børge Are Halvorsen - Musician (Altsax, barytonsax, fløyte og altfløyte)
- Erland Helbø - Musician (Gitarer og banjo)
- Håkon Aase - Musician (Fiolin)
- Jens Petter Antonsen - Musician (Trompet og flygelhorn)
- Leif O. Osen - Musician (Trommer og slagverk)
- Tom Berg - Musician (Tenorsax, klarinett og bassklarinett)
- Ingfrid Vasset - Mask design
- Bjarne Stensrud - Stage manager
- Silje Aurora Løkken - Director’s assistant
- Images (0)
- Video (0)
- Audio (0)
- Files (0)
"Guys and Dolls is a winning musical comedy, rich in well-considered details. It is obvious what the aim is: To spread joy and to entertain. (...) The jazz characteristics are always emphasised, with some extra spice through elements from gospel and hymns (in the Salvation Army scenes) and salsa (in the Havana scene, obviously). Petter Kragstad's elegant arrangements, performed live by an orchestra of nine, are always conscious of the plot development. The most sincere feelings have been given the most stripped-down arrangements, whereas the full instrumental variation is taken advantage of in more detailed group numbers."
More about Guys and Dolls
"Kåre Conradi plays the role of the great gambler Sky Masterson and Andrea Bræin Hovig the beautiful Salvation Army soldier Sarah Brown. The always broke gambler Nathan Detroit is played by Hans Marius Hoff Mittet and his fiancée, the night club singer Miss Adelaide, by Hilde Louise Asbjørnsen.
Onstage is a nine-member orchestra plus an ensemble of 22 actors and dancers.
Guys and Dolls had its world premiere in 1950 and became a giant success, with a 1200 performance run and the Tony Award for best musical. In 1955 came the movie with Marlon Brando, Jean Simmons, Frank Sinatra and Vivian Blaine.
The musical has several great hits, such as Luck be a lady and I've never been in love before, both later sung by Frank Sinatra, Barbara Streisand and others.
Musical leader/leader of the orchestra: Petter S. Kragstad."
Oslo Nye Teater (Oslo New Theatre), www.oslonye.no, 10.03.2014, http://www.oslonye.no/forestillinger/guys_and_dolls
The National Library of Norway, performance program digitised by The National Library of Norway, transferred to Sceneweb 12.02.2015
Import from the Scenekunst.no list of openings 06.12.2013