The Importance of Being Earnest
|Premiére date||30 Nov. 2002|
|Produced by||The National Theatre|
|Based on||The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde|
|Running period||30 Nov. 2002|
About The Importance of Being Earnest
The Importance of Being Earnest was a theatre production produced by The National Theatre in 2002, based on the play by Oscar Wilde.
Kjetil Bang-Hansen directed it and won The Hedda Award 2003 in the best direction category.
The Hedda Jury gave the following reason:
"The winner of the year is a smart veteran, knowing Norwegian theatre from different positions, but for the audience he may be best known as a director. In this field the career of the winner has a wide scope - from classics to contemporary drama, from the deep-drilling to the feather-light. But what always characterises the work of the winner is insight and precision, a style-sure sense for details and an unparalleled feeling for the rhythm of the performance. The winner gets the award for a firework of a production. Light and bubbly like sparkling champagne, while being elegantly and strictly controlled, making sparks fly from the lines.
Whether or not everyone has understood it now, the winner of the year is Kjetil Bang-Hansen and he gets the award for The Importance of Being Earnest at The National Theatre."Read more
- Oscar Wilde - Playwright
- Erik Pierstorff - Translation
- Kjetil Bang-Hansen - Direction
- Olav Torbjørn Skare - Dramaturge
- John Kristian Alsaker - Stage design
- John Kristian Alsaker - Costume design
- Anders Mordal - Actor (Lane, Merriman)( from 23 Aug. 2002)
- Anne Marit Jacobsen - Actor (Lady Bracknell)( to 23 Aug. 2002)
- Anneke von der Lippe - Actor (Gwendolen Fairfax)( to 23 Aug. 2002)
- Kari Simonsen - Actor (Lady Bracknell)( from 23 Aug. 2002)
- Kim Haugen - Actor (John Worthing)
- Mads Ousdal - Actor (Algernon Moncrieff)
- Marian Saastad Ottesen - Actor (Gwendolen Fairfax)( from 23 Aug. 2002)
- Marit Adeleide Andreassen - Actor (Miss Prism, guvernante)
- Per Christian Ellefsen - Actor (Lane, Merriman)( to 23 Aug. 2002)
- Toralv Maurstad - Actor (Chasuble, sogneprest / Dr. Theo)
- Ulrikke Hansen Døvigen - Actor (Cecily Cardew)
- Ruth Haraldsdottir - Mask design
More about The Importance of Being Earnest
The Importance of Being Earnest by The National Theatre also got a second Hedda nomination: Anne Marit Jacobsen was nominated for The Hedda Award 2003 in the particularly excellent performance category for the role of Lady Bracknell.
The National Theatre on The Importance of Being Earnest, www.nationaltheatret.no, 05.11.2012, http://fdb.nationaltheatret.no/S%C3%B8k/tabid/57/ctl/PlayView/mid/374/oppsetningId/51b93d97-7b2a-43a3-8808-551c628e306e/Default.aspx
Sceneweb on The Hedda Award 2003, www.sceneweb.no, 24.10.2012, http://www.sceneweb.no/en/awarding/23886/The_Hedda_Award_2003-2003